Monday, June 22, 2009

Tomatillo : Organic

I started with one 2' starter plant Organic Tomatillo from Whole Foods. I planted it in a large, deep terra-cotta pot with a tomato cage for support in full sun. I did not know when I purchased this plant it needed a partner to cross-pollinate, so I am going to see what happens. At the very least, it is leafy and lovely to look at. (right) My lonely tomatillo on June 19, 2009.

Growing Tips: Tomatillo prefers full sun, hot weather (90 - 100 degrees fahrenheit) and lots of water. Grows 2 - 5' tall, plant 2' - 3' apart with a cage or lattis for support. Tomatillos are self-pollinating but are also self-incompatible meaning, two or more plants are needed to cross pollinate.

Harvesting: Tomatillo matures in about 70 days, harvest when fruit is 2" in diameter and green, remove husks before cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment