Monday, June 15, 2009

Jalapeno Pepper

I started with a 6" starter plant, Jalapeno Pepper from Al's Garden Center. I originally planted it into a large terra-cotta pot that it quickly outgrew. I have transplanted in into an oversized deep container. (right) This is my Jalapeno plant from last year (2008). I grew it directly in my vegetable garden bed and it grew great. One plant had more peppers than I knew what to do with.
  • Day 1 (05.25.09): Planted into a large terra-cotta pot.
  • Day 17 (06.10.09): Plant is flowering and growing quite tall. Transplanted into a large, deep container.
  • Day 20 (06.13.09): Plant is beginning to grow fruit.
  • Day 30 (06.26.09): Plant is very yellow and growing unsuccessfully, recycled plant due to poor weather conditions that were not ideal for growing Jalapeno Peppers.

Growing Tips: Jalapenos prefer full sun and lots of water. Space the plants 18" - 36" apart with about 2 - 3 feet between rows. Plants grow to about 3 feet tall. You can also mix in mushroom compost to make the soil fertile and moist.

Harvesting: When the jalapenos reach full size, pick and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment