Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tillamook Strawberries

I started with three 2" starter plants, Chef Jeff's Tillamook Strawberries, native to the Oregon Coast, from Al's Garden Center. I planted all three in one large and wide terra-cotta pot. I had a problem last year with squirrels eating my berries so this year they are off the ground and next to Catnip which squirrels don't like. (right) My strawberries in July 2008. My current strawberry plants have white flowers on them and should be ready for harvest in 30 days.

Growing Tips: Strawberries prefer full sun and room to branch out, they cover ground quickly.

Placement: Strawberries should be grown next to Thyme for healthier more flavorful berries. If you have problems with deer or squirrels, place next to Catnip or Catmint to naturally repel these animals.

Harvesting: Ripe red berries can be harvested in June and July.

No comments:

Post a Comment