Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pequin Pepper

I started with a 3' plant, Pequin Pepper from Al's Garden Center. Pequin Peppers are bright red (but can be picked when they are still green) and about 8 times hotter than a Jalapeno Pepper. They tend to look like outdoor christmas lights when they are ripe due to their size and color. I planted my Pequin Pepper into a large plastic container in full sun next to all my other pepper plants in the garden. (right) My Pequin Pepper plant right after transplant on June 25, 2009. (bottom right) My first Pequin Pepper that is ripening on August 21, 2009.

Growing Tips: Pequin Peppers grow naturally in the wild in Texas and prefer full sun and hot weather.

Harvesting: Pequin Peppers can be harvested when the peppers are bright red or still green. Harvested peppers can be stored in freezer bags in the freezer for 6 - 12 months without loosing much of their heat or flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment