Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bay Laurel

I started with a 3" starter plant, Bay Laurel (Laurus nobilis) from Al's Garden Center. Bay Laurel is an evergreen shrub or small tree often grown as a tender perennial. It has aromatic foliage, cream flowers and dark berries. Bay Laurel leaves are used fresh or dried in soups, stews, meat dishes and French cooking. I planted my Bay Laurel into a small terra-cotta pot with the intent of transplanting at a later date. (right) This is my larger Bay Laurel, I have two, in June 2009. It is just starting to show the first signs of new growth since last summer.

Growing Tips: Bay Laurel prefers full sun to partial sun and requires well drained soil. Grows up to 5 feet tall in pot culture and grows best in containers.

Harvesting: Bay Laurel leaves can be harvested directly from the plant as needed or for drying.

Perennial Tips: Move indoors during winter in zones 7 or colder and place in a well lighted area or window.

No comments:

Post a Comment