Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lavender

I have a couple large lavender plants in my garden that have returned from last year. I have them planted in full sun, in large, terra-cotta pots. My lavender has a layer of twice-cracked hazelnut mulch covering the top soil, which helped them survive the winter snow. Lavender is also a natural herbicide. (right) My lavender is June 2008, I don't harvest my lavender so it is fully flowering.

Growing Tips: Lavender prefers full sun and well drained soil. In the northwest, lavender never needs supplemental watering and will do best on rainfall alone. Cover with mulch for winter.

Placement: Grow lavender near Thyme and vegetables, it will make them tastier and healthier.

Harvesting: Pick lavender just before the last flowers on the stalks fully open or grow to flower in the garden for the aromatics and lovely purple flowers. If harvested, cut the stems on a dry day before the heat of the sun draws out the oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment