Monday, May 17, 2010

Pink Astilbe

Astilbe's are long blooming flowers held above airy foliage.  Astilbes are perennials that are one of the earliest plants to grow and love the shade, perfect for bringing color into darker areas of your garden.  My astilbe is actually planted under a large, shady tree where mostly moss finds its way, yet my pink astilbe loves it there and comes back twice its size every year before it.  Typically starts flowering in late May/early June and will bloom through Fall.  (right, my pink astilbe in June 2009)

Astilbes prefer partial shade but can grow in full sun if given plenty of water.  These plants are vitually pest free and will return yearly with little to no maintenance.  No deadheading is necessary but may be cut back in spring if desired.  Divide every 4 - 5 years.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I am new to gardening, my husband does most of it at our house, but this year I claimed a shady spot for myself and began to plant a shade garden. I ordered and planted 6 "Amethyst" astilbe (bare root). They have REALLY grown in the month that I've had them and 2 of them have flowered! The only problem is....the flowers are pink, not purple. Do you suppose the company made a mistake or do you think it is either the maturity of the plant or the soil condition (brand new 2 foot layer of topsoil amended with peetmoss)?

    ReplyDelete